Dwayne Shaw and Andrew Lliebenhaut are two of the three owners of the uniquely named real estate company My Dad Buys Houses. Dwayne was in sales out of college and grew tired of working 60+ plus a hours a week. He started in real estate in 2006, but the crash made him lose everything. He decided to get back into the game with his friend Andrew later on.
Before becoming a real estate investor, Andrew was first and foremost a music producer. He then shifted careers and went to college to become a teacher. He stayed in school for nine years until he decided to take his teaching career to a whole new level. He earned his Master’s degree and was about to become principal when his friend Dwayne flipped a house and got word of how much he earned. Long story short, Andrew quit his day job, learned the ropes, and now has a real estate company of his own.
Today, Dwayne and Andrew talk about how their company got started and the struggles and successes they encountered. They share the “free” strategies they used to market themselves and advice on how to learn from the masters without making it a waste of their time.
“Doors open a lot faster when you’re asking how you can help rather than ‘how can you help me?'” Andrew Liebenhaut
On Today’s Episode of Flip Talk:
- How they structure their business.
- How did they get the momentum started in their business?
- What did they initially struggle with?
- How are they finding the deals?
- Getting leads for free.
- Why you should be wise when using bandit signs.
- What’s missing in their organization right now?
- Lessons learned from challenges and mistakes.
- Their thoughts on auctioning REOs and ow they do it?
- What do they do about deed restrictions?
Dwayne and Andrew’s Tips for Getting into Real Estate Investing:
- Don’t ask people to help you to learn, ask them how you can help instead.
- You can’t replace hustle; you can’t replace just doing the work.
- If you treat it like a hobby, it will pay like a hobby. If you treat it like a business, it will pay like a business.
Reach Out to Dwayne and Andrew:
- My Dad Buys Houses
- Email: Dwayne@mydadbuyshouses.com
- Google Voice: 754 444-7732
Rate, Review, Learn and Share
Join us every Wednesday for a brand-new episode of the Flip Talk podcast. Flip Talk is your show to learn all about the ins, outs, and in-betweens on real estate investing and house flipping. Email your questions to Topics [at]FlipTalk[dot] com. Subscribe to the show and share your thoughts by leaving us a review on iTunes, Facebook, or visit our website.