Javier Hinojo is the owner of IQ REI, a family-controlled real estate company that buys, manages, repairs, and sells homes in the Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, NC area. He has extensive experience working with foreclosed properties, land development, lease options, and land contracts. Javier offers the kind of business that prides itself on having a quick response rate, professional experience, and simplified solutions that make clients’ lives easier.
Today, Javier joins us to discuss his experience in the real estate industry so far. He shares the reason why he decided to start a real estate business and what it was like being a rookie with a military background. He describes some of his worst deals and the lessons he learned from them. He also explains the importance of knowing your contractors and why there aren’t many good contractors anymore.
“There’s no such thing as expensive money if you’re gonna make money off of it.” – Javier Hinojo
On Today’s Episode of Flip Talk:
- What made him leave the military and work in real estate?
- What his first deal looked like.
- Why it’s important to own the property before you invest in it.
- Some of the worst deals in his career.
- Why auctions are terribly risky.
- Why he’s not fully invested into wholesale.
- What he learned from rehabbing and working with contractors.
- How he financed his deals and how he got the money.
- Craziest experience he has had in this business.
Javier Hinojo’s Tips for Getting into Real Estate Investing:
- It’s difficult to find good contractors so when you do find one, never let go.
- You never start a project on a property you don’t control.
- If you don’t know anything about contracting, don’t give anybody money upfront.
Reach Out to Javier Hinojo:
Rate, Review, Learn, and Share
Join us every Wednesday for a brand-new episode of the Flip Talk podcast. Flip Talk is your show to learn all about the ins, outs, and in-betweens on real estate investing and house flipping. Email your questions to Topics [at] FlipTalk [dot] com. Subscribe to the show and share your thoughts by leaving us a review on iTunes, Facebook, or visit our website.